Villiera Stand Alone Pinot Noir 2020

Technical Analysis

Winemaker - Xander Grier
Main Variety - Pinot Noir
Alcohol - 13.9 %vol
pH - 3.6
RS - 2.7 g/l
Total Acid - 5.3 g/l
Appellation - Hemel-en-Aarde Ridge


Type - Red
Style - Dry
Body - Full
Taste - Fragrant


Platters Wine Guide: 4 Stars

Tasting Notes

Spicy and succulent with a good berry core and concentration. Elegant but powerful.

Blend Information

100% Pinot Noir

About The Harvest

The Pinot Noir was hand harvest early in the morning to ensure quality. 70% of the grapes were then destalked using an old hand de-stalker, set to keep berries whole and the remaining 30% was kept whole bunch.

In The Cellar

Xander’s philosophy in winemaking is minimal intervention through the whole winemaking process. This wine went through spontaneous fermentation and MLF. It was fermented in an open top tank with 30% whole bunch split between the top and bottom for different flavour profiles. The stalks add to the structure and tannin grip. The wine spent 10 days post fermentation on the skins for better tannin integration. 20% of the wine went into new French oak with the rest into used French oak barrels. The wine was in barrel for 10 months before bottling.
At bottling the wine went through a rough filter.

Additional Information

In 2014 Alexander Grier released his first Pinot Noir from the Hemel en Aarde under the Stand Alone label. The inspiration for the name came from a very old tree standing all alone on the banks of the river running past our family property at Standford. Xander (and his Stand Alone brand) joined Villiera in 2018, and since then the brand has expanded to 3 wines.

Other Vintages

Wine Wine Maker Main Variety
Villiera Stand Alone Pinot Noir 2020 Xander Grier Pinot Noir
Villiera Stand Alone Pinot Noir 2018 Xander Grier Pinot Noir
Villiera Stand Alone Pinot Noir 2016 Xander Grier Pinot Noir

Tel: +27.218652002 Fax: +27.218652314 Email: Cnr R101 & R304, Koelenhof, P.O. Box 66 , Stellenbosch, 7605, South Africa

Drink Responsibly. Not for persons under the age of 18.